Introduction to EPCs

Energy Performance Certificates were introduced by the government back in 2007 for both domestic and commercial properties. They are designed to give a reflection of the energy efficiency of a building, based on various factors such as the insulation present, heating systems, glazing and any renewables.

What does an EPC involve?

A qualified energy assessor will need to come and visit a property to produce an EPC, taking measurements and photos. The assessor will then put the information into a software package, which creates the EPC document. The EPC is ‘lodged’ onto a government EPC register, where you can find any property in the UK.

When do you need an EPC?

The EPC is required when you are selling a property, or when you are letting it. It can also be requested for various grants like the feed-in-tariff payment, and from institutions like banks when applying for a mortgage.

How do you get an EPC?

Getting an EPC is really easy. There are assessors all over the country that can carry out the survey. If you are in London and the South East, we recommend giving our partners at London EPC a call – they offer professional and competitively priced EPCs in the area. If you need an EPC elsewhere in the country, you can take a look at the EPC Register, where there is a database of local assessors.

For more information, take a look at our Domestic EPC and Commercial EPC pages (above).

You can also take a look at the video below, which shows a walk-through of an EPC assessment.

To request an EPC from our partners at London EPC, simply fill out the contact form below and they will aim to get back to you within 24 hours.

Getting an EPC

Need a EPC survey? We have scoured the country for the best surveyors, so that we can make sure we only recommend those we really trust.

If you would like us to find you a local surveyor, just fill in the form below and we will be in touch shortly!

    Interested in getting an EPC done?

    What kind of property is it?

    I would like to be contacted by a local assessor

    I would like to receive occasional news from TheGreenAge